Former India opener Gautam Gambhir made his debut when Sourav Ganguly was the Indian captain. He also played under Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble and then won two World Cups – 2007 T20 World Cup and 2011 ODI World Cup – under MS Dhoni. He made his comeback to the Indian Test side when young Virat Kohli was at the helm. In an international career spanning more than 13 years, Gambhir has played with some of India’s finest and most successful captains. It, therefore, should have a herculean task to choose one among all of them. But known for having a crystal-clear thought-process, Gambhir had no hesitation in picking the best captain he has played under.
The left-hander, who announced his retirement from all forms of cricket in December 2018, picked legendary Indian spinner Anil Kumble as the best captain.
“Yes MS Dhoni in records point of view, right up there but yes, for me the best captain I’ve played under is Anil Kumble,” said Gambhir in Star Sports show Cricket Connected.
Gambhir said Kumble would have broken all the records had he captained India for a longer period of time.
“Sourav (Ganguly) has done really well. One captain that I would have definitely wanted to captain India for a long time is Anil Kumble. I played six Test matches under him probably; he didn’t captain India for that long. Had he captained India for a long time, he would have broken a lot of records,” added Gambhir, who indeed played six Test matches under Kumble and is himself a very successful IPL captain with two titles for Kolkata Knight Riders to show for.
Kumble was made the Indian Test captain in the 17th year of his international career when Rahul Dravid stood down in November 2007. MS Dhoni was India’s ODI and T20I captain then and it was deemed too early to hand him the realms of the Test team.
Kumble, who is India’s leading wicket-taker in both Tests (619) and ODIs (337) led India for 14 Test matches before announcing his retirement mid-way through Australia’s tour of India in 2008. Under him, India won three Tests, drew five and lost six.
After his retirement, Dhoni took over as the captain of India all three formats.
- West Bengal’s unemployment rate at 6.5% in June ‘far better’ than that of India: Mamata
- Shravan Mela from July 6 to Aug 3: To stop devotees, admin seals Deoghar district
- WHO team to visit China next week to investigate origins of coronavirus
- 13 pvt labs in Telangana under govt scanner for reporting abnormal Covid-19+ cases
- Delhi BJP reorganisation process begins; 35 teams formed to shortlist names
- ‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
- Nagaland government rejects governor’s proposal on transfer and posting of officials
- Venkaiah Naidu pays tribute to BJP patriarch LK Advani on Guru Purnima
- Strategic affairs experts hail Modi’s visit to Ladakh; say his message to China ‘clear’
- ICMR defends fast tracking Covaxin amid allegations of chasing glory with Independence Day launch
- Working from home? Here are some tips to keep the lockdown pounds off
- Two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan retires from international badminton
- Asked about missing face mask, BJP leader and son thrash UP cops; arrested
- Docetaxel: Chemotherapy drug likely to be less effective in overweight, obese women with breast cancer
- UK FM Rishi Sunak urges British public to help restart economy on ‘Super Saturday’
English12 hours ago
Wife found dead after husband dies in Covid-19 isolation ward in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur
English13 hours ago
Horoscope Today: Astrological prediction for July 4, what’s in store for Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo and other zodiac signs
English1 hour ago
‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
English11 hours ago
Faces of terror: Why India banned 9 Khalistan-linked terrorists in 5 countries
English21 hours ago
Pakistani foreign minister tests positive for Covid-19
English20 hours ago
Hong Kongers scrub social media history in face of security law
English23 hours ago
Earthquake of magnitude 4.7 hits Alwar in Rajasthan; tremors felt in north India, Delhi-NCR
English22 hours ago
June exports data to reflect faster recovery: Piyush Goyal