“We are not crazy about it but we have to become self-sufficient,” he said at a CII virtual event on being asked about the country’s emphasis on local content requirements.
“We will take a practical and balanced view and do it sensibly without compromising on quality and modern technology…We can’t import entire equipment if only one component can’t be made here,” he said.
On being asked if Atmanirbhar Bharat is about India being protectionist, Goyal said: “Whatever we have to import and is high quality, we will import. All countries in the world are balancing their trade.”
The minister emphasised that India wants fair, balanced and transparent trade.
Goyal also said that the government is trying to get a mechanism for the taxes for which industry does not get credit such as electricity duty and mandi tax, which make Indian manufacturing look uncompetitive.
“Something like RoDTEP. We are taking it up at all levels and will find a solution,” he said.
Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products or RoDTEP is a scheme for exporters to reimburse taxes and duties paid by them such as value added tax, coal cess, mandi tax, electricity duties and fuel used for transportation, which are not getting exempted or refunded under any other existing mechanism.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai