Kerala chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan said Monday that complacency has led to a spike in Covid-19 cases in the state.
“People should not be careless in taking Covid-19 precautions. Initially, everyone hailed Kerala for good work in containing Covid-19 as we took necessary precautions. But we became complacent that is why we reached the present situation,” ANI quoted Vijayan as saying.
Kerala which was the first state to record Covid-19 cases in the country in January had initially performed very well in keeping the infections under check. It also had the highest recovery rate and the lowest mortality rates.
Click here for full Covid-19 coverage.
But although the recoveries have remained impressive, the overall numbers began to change after people were allowed to return from abroad and other states. In May, the number of active cases in Kerala had come down to less than 100. It now has over 11,000 active cases.
The state is now clocking fresh cases of Covid-19 by the hundreds. On Sunday, Kerala’s Covid-19 tally crossed the 25,000 mark with another day of 1,000 plus infections. More than 14,000 people have recovered so far while the casualties are closing in on the 100 mark. The death toll is still the lowest among south Indian states.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai