A weeping boy, unable to get a ride to Bihar, his home, was among scores of disappointed migrants at Delhi’s main interstate bus terminal where operations have stopped because of the coronavirus lockdown.
“I want to go home,” the boy said, tears streaming down his face. He carried a rucksack with his belongings, like he has for three days, hoping to catch a bus home.
“The cops keep chasing me away. Where do I go,” the tired and hungry teen said. He works at a construction site and, like thousands of daily-wage earners, has been left stranded after most of the country shut down to check the spread of coronavirus or COVID-19.
He has no home in Delhi and now, no way of earning a livelihood. But going back to the relative safety of his village is no longer an option.
His story has moved many on social media. RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav tweeted urging Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to organize food and shelter for this boy and others like him.
Dear @NitishKumar ji, Kindly communicate with Delhi Govt or @HMOIndia to make immediate arrangement for this innocent guy.
Likewise, setup a centralized helpline for all those who are stranded outside Bihar& liaise with respective govts to make arrangements for their stay & food. https://t.co/FWxrIoEvns
— Tejashwi Yadav (@yadavtejashwi) March 24, 2020
Many others keep coming to the Anand Vihar terminal, hoping for a bus to Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh or Bihar, whichever is home.
Among them are travelers who took trains to Delhi from Kerala, Goa and several other places soon after Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a “Janata Curfew” or self-quarantine. They meant to finish the last leg of the journey on bus.
In Delhi, they arrived to no buses, no cabs and no food either as all eateries have vanished.
When they group together at the terminus while waiting for buses, the police come at them with sticks, pointing out that more than four people gathering at any spot is banned because of the virus panic.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced a complete lockdown in Delhi on Sunday, shutting down everything but essential supplies.
India has more than 500 coronavirus cases and 10 people have died.
This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.
Important Updates Lockdown
- World is moving towards biggest economic crisis due to Coronavirus, says IMF
- Coronavirus Update: 24 cases found positive in 1 day in Punjab
- 2 Women Doctors assaulted and accused of spreading COVID-19
- SC directed private labs to make COVID-19 Tests free of cost
- Ludhiana Police shares the price list of Vegetables; Says strict action will be taken against violators
- COVID-19: Doctor treating patients is residing in his car to protect his family
- Police officials quarantined and Station closed where COVID-19 Positive thief was prisoned
- 3 more found Positive in Jalandhar; Punjab in Category 4
- Education Department issued show-cause notice to schools for demanding fees
- This state became the first state to extend the lockdown till 30th April; Details inside
- 7 tested positive in one day in Punjab; Total cases cross 5200 mark
- Punjab and Sind Bank in collaboration with RSETI will be manufacturing face masks
- CM Captain Amarinder Singh ends all Lockdown Extension Rumours
- Corona Disinfection Tunnel: An Automatic Sanitised system inaugrated by DC Pradeep Agrawal
- Kitchlu Nagar, Ldh residents showered flowers on Cops expressing their gratitude
Coronavirus3 days ago
Ludhiana- DPS among other schools served notice for demanding school fees in Lockdown
Coronavirus8 hours ago
This state became the first state to extend the lockdown till 30th April; Details inside
Coronavirus3 days ago
India’s fuel consumption tanks amid Lockdown; Petrol shrink 15.5%, diesel 24%
Coronavirus2 days ago
Last rituals of 69-year-old Lady who succumbed to COVID- 19 were performed by Govt Officials; Family refused to take charge
Coronavirus1 day ago
PM on Lockdown: Nobody is saying that lockdown should be lifted. I will again talk to the CMs’
Coronavirus7 hours ago
3 more found Positive in Jalandhar; Punjab in Category 4
Ludhiana News2 days ago
DC Ldh: If Private Hospitals fails to serve patients then strict action will be taken against them
Coronavirus2 days ago
Chandigarh: Administration puts a ban on Chewing Gums, Pan Masala for 3 months