According to Union Health ministry’s latest update, coronavirus cases in India jumped by 8,392 in the past 24 hours to touch 1,90,535.
At 8 am, the number of the dead was 5,394, while 91,819 people have been cured/discharged.
Maharashtra, the worst-hit state, has recorded 67,655 cases so far (2,286 deaths).
As per the current trends, India has now overtaken Germany in total cases to become the eighth hardest-hit nation, and will soon pass France to become the seventh.
Deaths, too, in India have been rapidly rising of late. But on the bright side, the mortality rate here (2.9%) is still way below other worst-affected countries.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai