The death toll stood at 136,000 Wednesday, but the country should hit 151,000 by August 1 and 157,000 by August 8, according to an average of models of 23 research groups in the United States and elsewhere.
The figures were published by the University of Massachusetts Amherst’s Reich lab on Tuesday on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
A week ago, this average predicted 147,000 deaths on August 1.
California, Florida and Texas, the three most populous states in the country, will see one thousand more deaths over the next four weeks compared to the previous four, said Professor Nicholas Reich.
The University of Washington’s IHME model, goes further and predicted Wednesday 224,000 deaths on November 1.
Another, by independent modeler Youyang Gu, in New York, predicts 227,000 deaths by November 1.
According to the IHME group, more Americans are wearing masks, and fewer are leaving their homes.
The model has access to GPS data through commercial partners.
“If 95 percent of Americans wore masks when leaving their homes, that number (of deaths) would drop by more than 40,000,” the research center said.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai
English22 hours ago
Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
English23 hours ago
Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
Coronavirus3 hours ago
Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
English24 hours ago
Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
English23 hours ago
Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94