Nicknamed the ‘little Dodo’, the Tooth-billed Pigeon is among the closest living relatives to the extinct Dodo. Unfortunately, this species too is disappearing at an alarming rate. They only live on Samoa and there are currently 70 to 380 left in the wild, with no captive populations to aid conservation efforts.
Very little is actually known about tooth-billed pigeons. They are elusive and very rarely seen. The bird known locally as the Manumea is the only member of its genus Didunculus, which in Latin means “little dodo.”, and is also the national bird of Samoa.
The Manumea is a big forest pigeon, about the size of a chicken, with an amazingly large bright red beak which has two tooth-like structures on the bottom. The bird also has a blue head and chest, and darkred wings. In the past hunting has played a big part in their decline and has killed thousands of individuals. Currently, one of their main threats is habitat loss.
Large areas of their home have been cleared to make space for agriculture, destroyed by cyclones or taken over by invasive trees. They are also at risk of predation from invasive species, including feral cats. The tooth-billed pigeon is rated critically endangered on the IUCN red list and surveys suggest only 70 to 380 individuals survive in the wild. A single juvenile was last spotted in 2013.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai