There were huge snarls on Tumakuru road and other exit routes. Some said they had vacated their houses in the city and moving back home permanently. Authorities said traffic jams on Mysore Road were due to ongoing repairs. With total lockdown imposed on Sunday, effective from 8pm on Saturday, people left the city early in the morning.
KSRTC officials said many people are moving out of Bengaluru since Class 10 exams are over.
Covid cases have surged in Bengaluru in the past 10 days and the health infrastructure has come under strain. As of July 4, the city has 7,250 patients under treatment.
Rame Gowda, who worked as cab driver, said he would feel safer in his village in Maddur. “Cases in Bengaluru are rapidly rising and there are no hospitals to admit patients. I am worried about my life. Though I managed to survive the lockdown, now it has become impossible. I will work in the fields for a living. I will never come back to Bengaluru.”
Leelavathi, a resident of Peenya, was heading to Bellur Cross in Mandya. Stuffing all her belongings in a goods auto, she said her garment unit shut down 15 days ago.
“We have already lost our jobs and our family is not in a state to pay house rent. We decided to go back to our hometown before there is another lockdown.”
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai