According to the state media bulletin, the total number of cases in the State now stands at 1,14,978.
This comes as Tamil Nadu lifted the complete lockdown in Chennai and its neighbouring districts from Monday and has eased relaxations across the State.
The total death toll in the state rose to 1,571 after 61 people succumbed to the infection on Monday.
The bulletin said 3,793 people were discharged on Monday and that total recoveries in the State stood at 66,571.
Chennai has had 70,017 cases in all, of which 24,052 are active cases.
On Monday, the state capital which is the worst affected district in the State witnessed 1747 people testing positive for Covid-19.
Madurai which is currently the only district in the State that is continuing with the complete lockdown, recorded 245 cases on Monday.
Chennai and neighbouring districts Chengalpattu, Tiruvallur and Kancheepuram had been under an intense lockdown from June 19 till July 5.
While the general state-wide lockdown is on till July 31, the State government on Saturday announced a slew of relaxations throughout the State.
Chennai Corporation Commissioner G Prakash on Sunday had said the intensified lockdown in the city was a “definite hit.”
He said it helped to ramp up testing, pick up symptomatic cases from door to door, effective contact tracing and avoided the spread of infection by asymptomatic people.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai