The government had blacklisted 900 of them, a move which would not allow them to travel to India for 10 years. These foreign nationals later challenged the en masse blacklisting order against them in the top court.
A bench led by Justice AM Khanwilkar allowed the government more time to respond to the petition after the Centre, through solicitor general Tushar Mehta and his junior Rajat Nair, sought more time on Monday on the grounds that they had not received a copy of the petition.
Justice Khanwilkar, however, demanded to know what was being done about the foreign nationals if their visas had been cancelled. The bench asked whether only one general order had been issued against all of them or specific orders had been passed against each of the persons.
“If the visas of these foreigners are cancelled, why are they still in India? You deport them. If you haven’t cancelled, we will throw out these petitions,” said Justice Khanwilkar.
Senior advocate CU Singh, arguing the case on behalf of the petitioners, said the blacklisting order was a general one and not specific. The bench said though a subsequent home ministry notification had said that the decision would be taken by the state authorities on a case to case basis.
Singh then argued that the countries of the foreign nationals had been asking for them back. “Their embassies are asking for them,” he said. The court then sought a statement from the government on their status.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai