Shiromani Akali Dal-Badal has blasted Congress leaders in the city for their shameful attempts to draw political mileage in the distribution of ration to the needy from the funds provided by the Centre to the state.
The former legislator and district president of the party, Ranjit Singh Dhillon, said the ruling party leaders had taken more than two-weeks time in getting the picture of Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh printed on the bags, in which dry ration was to be distributed among those who had lost their livelihood in the wake of lockdown.
It was the NGOs and various social and religious bodies that had come to the rescue of the poor, they added.
“Even now, certain Congress leaders are out to take advantage of the task of distribution of essentials among the underprivileged,” said Dhillon, while naming Ludhiana (East) legislator Sanjay Talwar and his supporters for collecting voter cards of the beneficiaries for distribution of ration, funds for which were released by the Centre.
The SAD-B leader added councillors and certain legislators had taken a cut from bulk suppliers, vegetables and fruits vendors and ‘karyana’ dealers for granting permission to operate during the curfew.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai