Brar and the second accused, Baljinder Singh alias Ballian, who was arrested Tuesday, have, meanwhile, been remanded to two more days of police custody.
Punjab Police on Wednesday arrested Lakhwinder Singh alias Lucky Dhillon, owner of Karnal Agri Seeds, Dera Baba Nanak, in connection with paddy seed scam, taking the number of accused in the police net so far to three.
Dhillon was arrested by the state-level Special Investigation Team (SIT), constituted Tuesday by DGP Dinkar Gupta, to get to the bottom of the scam involving alleged sale of non-certified seeds of new Paddy varieties that were being got tested/grown by PAU Ludhiana.
Gupta disclosed that Dhillon had unauthorisedly purchased PR-128 and PR-129 seed varieties from some farmers who were given the seeds on trial basis by PAU. Investigations show that Dhillon had supplied these seeds to Brar Seeds of Ludhiana, whose owner, Harwinder Singh alias Kaka Brar was the first person to be apprehended in the scam.
Brar and the second accused, Baljinder Singh alias Ballian, who was arrested Tuesday, have, meanwhile, been remanded to two more days of police custody. The DGP said the SIT has sought the remand from the court, where the duo were produced today, to further investigate the case and identify the others involved in the scam.
Notably, Baljinder is also a member of the Farmers Association formed by PAU to give information to farmers about new seeds and techniques. He was given the newly developed PR 128 and PR 129 of paddy seeds last year by PAU for sowing on trial basis to assess the results. However, he used the resultant crop to mass produce seeds and sold them further without any authorisation, said the DGP.
The seeds in question have so far been developed and sold by PAU in limited quantities directly to the farmers. None of the dealers were yet authorised to sell these seeds on a commercial basis, without the express authorization of PAU.
SAD leader Bikram Singh Majithia had earlier alleged that Lucky Dhillon was a close associate of cabinet minister Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa, who had denied the charge, saying his name was being dragged into the issue to “gain cheap political mileage”.
The SAD on Monday had claimed that farmers were likely to have suffered a loss of Rs 4,000 crore because of the supply of spurious and uncertified paddy seeds.
Meanwhile, officials said Kaka Brar and the second accused, Baljinder Singh, alias Ballian, have been remanded in two day police custody.
The DGP said the SIT had sought the remand of the accused from the court on Wednesday to further investigate the case and identify others involved in the scam.
- BSF alerts units along Bangladesh border against spurt in human trafficking during COVID-19
- Goa port town councillor dies of Covid-19
- Japan floods leave up to 34 dead, many at nursing homes
- BSF alerts units along Bangladesh border against spurt in human trafficking during Covid-19
- COVID-19 War Room to come up in national capital to keep eye on city’s fight against virus
- Covid-19: 1,000 bed hospital in Delhi built in record 12 days, says Amit Shah
- Odisha: GST collection in June at 2,693.75 cr, Q1 mop up dips 35% due to lockdown
- PM’s Ladakh visit raised morale of armed forces at the border, says ITBP DG
- Kanpur effect: Crackdown begins on mafia in Noida, properties, cars worth crores attached
- Karnataka to build Rs 200 crore pilgrim complexes at Tirumala
- The pandemic’s big mystery: How deadly is the coronavirus?
- Kanpur firing accused Vikas Dubey knew about raid, aide tell cops after arrest
- PM Narendra Modi meets President to discuss various issues: Rashtrapati Bhavan
- Woman PSI in Gujarat arrested for taking Rs 20 lakh bribe
- Amit Shah, Rajnath Singh visit newly-created 1,000-bed COVID-19 hospital
English21 hours ago
‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
English9 hours ago
Lunar eclipse 2020: Time, duration and visibility from India
English23 hours ago
‘Roti-Beti’ tie with India under threat by Nepal’s citizenship amendment bill
English24 hours ago
Runway revolution: Is this the end of fashion as we know it?
English22 hours ago
ICMR defends fast tracking Covaxin amid allegations of chasing glory with Independence Day launch
English18 hours ago
Navy to seek ban on unauthorised sale of armed forces uniform
English17 hours ago
Centre approves Rs 574 crore annual plan for NH works in J-K
English22 hours ago
Strategic affairs experts hail Modi’s visit to Ladakh; say his message to China ‘clear’