Ahead of Ghallughara Divas on June 6, cyber cell of the Punjab Police have begun keeping a tab on persons and posts looking to incite violence on various social media platforms.
Last year, situation turned volatile in Ludhiana as Hindu and Sikh activists confronted each with swords near Chaura Bazaar.
Things went haywire after Sikh activists allegedly tore a poster of Shiv Sena, which featured picture of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, ex-Chief Minister Beant Singh, former DGP KPS Gill and former General AS Vaidya.
Hindu activists in large numbers had gathered outside the historical Sangla Wala Shivalaya where several Sikh activists also reached.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Headquarters) and (Security) Akhil Chaudhary said in order to maintain law and order, 40 nakas will be laid from June 1 to June 6 at Ghanta Ghar Chowk, Girja Ghar Chowk, Ghaa Mandi Chowk, Local Bus Adda, Rekhi Cinema, Gurdwara Sahib Kalgidhar Road (opposite Jail Road T-Point cut), Gurdwara Sahib Kalgidhar Road, Brown Road, opposite Neela Jhanda Gurdwara Sahib, Shivala Chowk, Neem Wala Chowk, Subhani Building Chowk, Jalandhar Bypass Chowk, Jagraon Bridge, opposite Civil Hospital, Jodhewal Chowk, Cheema Chowk, Dholewal Chowk, opposite Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib, Dugri, Tibba Nehar Bridge, Phullanwala Chowk, T-Point Lalton, Jawadi Canal Bridge, Alamgir Sahib Cut, opposite Gurdwara Reru Sahib, opposite Gurdwara Sahib Shahed Feruman, Dholewal, Gurdwara Baba Deep Singh Ji, Model Town Extension, Ishmeet Chowk, Model Town, opposite Sardar Jewellers, Ghumar Mandi, Gurdwara Sahib, E-Block, BRS Nagar, opposite Navdurga Mata Mandir, Sarabha Nagar, Dandi Swami Chowk, Old Session Chowk, Durga Mata Mandir, Jagraon Chowk, Gau Shala Chowk, Hambran Chowk, Bhuri Wala Gurdwara Sahib, Haibowal, Samrala Chowk, Rahon Raod, Hawas Cut, Hundal Dharm Kanda, Tajpur Raod, Bhaini Sahib Cut, Chandigarh Road and Dainik Jagran cut. Apart from this special naka bandi at gurdwaras has also been done.
Chaudhary said 10 patrolling parties have been formed. Anti-riot, QRT has also been kept on standby along with striking force and a Vajra vehicle.
It has been learnt that cops are holding meetings with Sikh and Hindi activists and appealing them to maintain law and order on June 6.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai