The COVID-19 pandemic has led to many countries working together to fight the virus and save their people. Amid the outbreak, an interesting development was seen taking place on Twitter between PM Modi and White House. The official Twitter handle of the President of the United States of America – The White House – followed the official handle of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
One of the reasons why this is particularly interesting to note is because twitter handle of The White House follows only 19 handles among the vast pool of people on this social network. The official handles of PM Modi, Prime Minister’s Office; as well as President Ram Nath Kovind are the prominent Indian handles amongst these 19. The White House handle has over 21.4 million followers.
This move is also considered to be of strategic significance because The White House does not follow any other global leader, making Narendra Modi the only one in the list. The others among the select 19 are Vice President Mike Pence, Donald Trump, POTUS, First Lady Melania Trump and others. Two other Indian handles followed by The White House are US Embassy in New Delhi, and Embassy of India in Washington DC.
This development comes following the days after Trump had ‘warned’ India of “retaliation” if it banned the export of hydroxychloroquine – an under trial drug being tested for the cure of COVID-19 – which Trump had named a “game changer” drug. After the warning, New Delhi had eased its restrictions on the export of hydroxychloroquine, prompting Trump to send a big “thank you” to his pal Modi.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai