Gautam, vice chair of Nepal Communist Party, was promised the PM’s chair, when last April Oli assured Gautam that he would step down and make way for him in future, ET has learnt from political sources in Kathmandu.
To corner Oli, Gautam has now raised the issue of “compromises” made by Nepal to conclude the Mahakali Treaty with India in 1996. Oli had backed the treaty.
Nepal watchers say it is the combination of power struggle, one-upmanship and the nationalist plank that can unseat the Oli government.
Allegation of “Indian interference” to unseat governments in Kathmandu has been a common refrain in Nepal’s politics for decades across different regimes, say Nepal watchers. Even, former Maoist leader Pushpa Kamal Dahal, aka Prachanda, is eyeing the post of PM. Sources in Kathmandu believe that Dahal and his allies, including senior leaders Madhav Kumar Nepal, Jhala Nath Khanal, Gautam and Narayan Kaji Shrestha, are preparing to demand that Oli choose between the party chair or the prime ministership. They are opposed to Oli’s unilateral style of functioning.
Oli’s nationalist plank pitted against India, which resulted in the new political map showing Indian territories as part of Nepal, has faced a big challenge in the Mahakali Treaty.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive