The police have arrested a man for making a fake bomb threat at Dana Mandi, near Jalandhar bypass in Ludhiana. An anti- CAA protest was taking place at the venue.
The accused has been identified as Amit Mahato, a resident of Begu district in Bihar. He was currently residing in Maskeen Nagar in the city. He had called the PCR around 5 pm on Tuesday and claimed that someone was “making a bomb” in Dana Mandi.
ADCP Gurpreet Singh Sikand said,” Soon after receiving the information, the police swung into action and launched a massive search operation to detect an object suspected to be containing explosives.” He further added that metal detectors and sniffer dogs were also pressed into service.
“However, the overnight search operation yielded no results. Due to security reasons, the scheduled protest was also delayed. Later, during the day, police traced the call to Amit and nabbed him, who made the hoax bomb call to trigger panic,” Sikand said.
Amit has been booked under Section 66A of the Information Technology Act and Sections 160 and 506 of the IPC at Salem Tabri police station. According to the police, he made the call in an inebriated state and later switched off his phone, making it untraceable.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai