In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and its subsequent economic impact on liquidity and cash-flows in the Indian banking sector, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) had requested the regulator to examine possible offering of surety bonds by the general insurance companies.
Now, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has set up a nine-member working group to study the legal framework and suitability of the Indian insurance industry or any other sector to offer such bonds.
Headed by G Srinivasan, Director, National Insurance Academy, the group comprises members from public and private insurance companies and Irdai, the sectoral regulator said in a circular.
Currently, surety bond for contractors is not being offered by insurance companies in the Indian market. The bonds guarantee satisfactory completion of a project by a contractor and providing performance security to various government agencies.
The insurance legal/regulatory framework does not permit underwriting of bonds that guarantee performance and bid securities as they are financial instruments and not conventional insurance products.
Hitherto, the banks have been issuing bank guarantees to contractors for fulfilling contract security and performance pledges, Irdai said.
The panel has been asked to study the current Indian legal and regulatory framework with reference to surety bonds and assess the suitability of the Indian insurance industry or any other sector to offer such bonds.
In its report to be submitted in three months, the panel is also expected to provide justification for the recommendations being made by the group, with special reference to the legal and regulatory perspective.
The working group may have its meetings through online mode in view of the COVID-19 pandemic, Irdai said.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive