“Extremely anguished by the loss of lives due to an accident at HSL facility in Vishakhapatnam(AP),” Singh tweeted.
“My thoughts are with the bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly,” he said. “Departmental Enquiry Committee has been instituted to establish the causes leading to the accident.”
Earlier in the day, a massive 70-tonne crane under trial run in the HSL at Vizag in Andhra Pradesh came crashing down, crushing 11 people to death in the first such mishap in the public sector ship-building company’s 75-year-old existence.
Four of the victims were HSL employees, including a supervisor, while the seven others were workers of three contracting agencies, District Collector V Vinay Chand told reporters after inspecting the accident site.
All the deceased who came under the falling iron mass, rail-mounted and known as jetty crane for being on a ramp to handle cargo, were killed on the spot.
TV visuals showed the equipment collapsing on the ground with a loud thud after its cabin and base snapped during the trial run.
The new crane was erected at the HSL about two years ago but was not yet commissioned for regular operations due to change in contractors.
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive