Source : indiatoday
India’s gold imports in July plunged 55% from a year ago to the lowest level in three years as a rally in local prices to a record high and a hike in import taxes curtailed demand, a government source said on Monday.
Lower purchases by the world’s second-biggest consumer could cap gains in global prices that jumped to the highest level in over 6-years on Monday, but help the south Asian country in bringing down the trade deficit and supporting rupee.
India imported 39.66 tonnes of gold in July, down from 88.16 tonnes a year ago, the source said, who was not allowed to speak to the media. In value terms, the country’s imports in the month fell 42 per cent to $1.71 billion, he said.
Local gold prices jumped to record high last month tracking gains in overseas market and as New Delhi raised import taxes on the precious metal to 12.5 per cent from 10 per cent earlier.
The surprise hike in the import tax and price rise badly affected demand last month, said Mukesh Kothari, director at dealer RiddiSiddhi Bullions in Mumbai.
“Even in August, imports would be much lower than last year. Demand is not improving,” he said.
On Monday, local gold futures rose more than 2 per cent to hit an all-time high of 37,149 rupees ($524.97) per 10 grams, taking their gains to more than 17 per cent in 2019.
“As retail demand has dried up, jewellers are placing import orders with banks,” said a Mumbai-based dealer with a bullion importing bank.
India’s gold demand is likely to soften in the September quarter as record high local prices curtails buying, the World Gold Council said last week.
On Monday, dealers were offering a discount of up to $36 an ounce over official domestic prices, the highest since August 2016. The domestic price includes a 12.5 per cent import tax and 3 per cent sales tax.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai