India reported 9,971 new coronavirus cases Sunday in another biggest single-day spike, a day before it prepares to reopen shopping malls, hotels and religious places after a 10-week lockdown.
India has now surpassed Spain as the fifth hardest-hit by the pandemic with 246,628 confirmed cases and 6,929 fatalities.
New Delhi, Mumbai and Ahmedabad are among the worst-hit cities in the country. Six of India’s 28 states account for 73% of total cases.
India has already partially restored train services and domestic flights and allowed shops and manufacturing to reopen. E-commerce companies have started to deliver goods, including those considered nonessential, to places outside containment zones.
Subways, schools and movie theaters remain closed.
- Tamil Nadu Covid-19 tally crosses 1 lakh mark
- Not in favour of withdrawing case against Italian marines from SC: Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan
- Earthquake of magnitude 4.7 hits Alwar in Rajasthan; tremors felt in north India, Delhi-NCR
- Govt’s locust operation covers 1.33 lakh hectares in North, West India
- Fantasy sports firms expect strong comeback as live sports resumes in empty stadiums
- Germany is first major economy to phase out coal and nuclear
- Sonia Gandhi writes to PM seeking extension of OBC reservation in all-India quota of medical seats
- Sonia writes to PM on denial of reservation to OBCs in state medical colleges
- Earthquake measuring 4.7 on Richter scale hits Delhi-NCR
- UP Congress leaders want Priyanka Gandhi to shift base to Lucknow
- Train hits bus carrying Sikh pilgrims in Pakistan: 20 dead
- PM Modi meets soldiers injured in Galwan Valley clash, says they make 130 cr Indians proud
- Government launches ‘Swachh Survekshan 2021’; states also to be ranked
- At $500 billion, India has world’s fifth-largest foreign exchange reserves
- You gave a befitting reply: PM Modi tells soldiers injured in Galwan clash
English14 hours ago
Horoscope Today: Astrological prediction for July 3, what’s in store for Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs
English21 hours ago
Uncertainty sees companies suspending guidance
English12 hours ago
Eight UP police personnel killed in encounter with criminals in Kanpur
English6 hours ago
‘Not the era for expansionism’: PM Modi’s harsh message to China from Ladakh
English24 hours ago
Eastern Ladakh standoff: India expects China to ensure expeditious restoration of peace
English22 hours ago
Congress, NCP upset with Uddhav Thackeray for reimposing lockdown
English23 hours ago
Amit Shah meets CMs of UP, Haryana, Delhi; discusses COVID-19 situation
English23 hours ago
We’re optimistic about a V-shaped recovery in India: Expenditure Secretary TV Somanathan