The helicopters will be equipped with imported aerial spray machines, agriculture minister Narendra Singh Tomar said while flagging off a helicopter of a private company to be deployed for the first time for controlling locusts.
“We have ordered for five aerial spray machines from United Kingdom. They will be deployed in IAF helicopters and pressed into operation for locust control,” Tomar said.
“The helicopter will fly for Air Force Station at Uttarlai, Barmer, where it will be stationed initially and from there deployed for locust control in desert areas of Barmer, Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Jodhpur and Nagaur. The Bell helicopter will have single pilot operation with pesticide carrying capacity of 250 litres in one trip. It can cover 25 to 50 hectare area in one flight,” he said.
Tomar said that no significant damage to crops has been reported due to locust attack so far.
“We are geared up to counter locusts. We have deployed teams in locust affected areas,” he said.
The government has already deployed 12 drones for locust control in the country.
“One drone can cover 16-17 hectare area in one hour and, in four hours, it can cover up to 70 hectare area. It is effective for tall trees and inaccessible areas,” said an agriculture department official.
As per the Food and Agriculture Organization’s locust status update of June 27, swarms that accumulate in northern Somalia are likely to migrate across the Indian Ocean to the summer breeding areas along the India-Pakistan border. In Pakistan, swarms have already started laying eggs in Sindh and swarms are present in the Indus Valley.
Locust control operation is being manned by 60 control teams with spray equipment mounted vehicles and more than 200 central government personnel are engaged in such operations in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar, the official quoted above said.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Steady growth in domestic air travel, daily fliers cross 75k mark on July 4
- I-T department amends TDS form, makes it more comprehensive
- Andhra adds 998 new Covid-19 cases, state’s tally jumps to 18,697, 14 more die
- BSF alerts units along Bangladesh border against spurt in human trafficking during COVID-19
- Goa port town councillor dies of Covid-19
- Japan floods leave up to 34 dead, many at nursing homes
- BSF alerts units along Bangladesh border against spurt in human trafficking during Covid-19
- COVID-19 War Room to come up in national capital to keep eye on city’s fight against virus
- Covid-19: 1,000 bed hospital in Delhi built in record 12 days, says Amit Shah
- Odisha: GST collection in June at 2,693.75 cr, Q1 mop up dips 35% due to lockdown
- PM’s Ladakh visit raised morale of armed forces at the border, says ITBP DG
- Kanpur effect: Crackdown begins on mafia in Noida, properties, cars worth crores attached
- Karnataka to build Rs 200 crore pilgrim complexes at Tirumala
- The pandemic’s big mystery: How deadly is the coronavirus?
- Kanpur firing accused Vikas Dubey knew about raid, aide tell cops after arrest
English9 hours ago
Lunar eclipse 2020: Time, duration and visibility from India
English22 hours ago
‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
English24 hours ago
‘Roti-Beti’ tie with India under threat by Nepal’s citizenship amendment bill
English23 hours ago
ICMR defends fast tracking Covaxin amid allegations of chasing glory with Independence Day launch
English18 hours ago
Navy to seek ban on unauthorised sale of armed forces uniform
English18 hours ago
Centre approves Rs 574 crore annual plan for NH works in J-K
English4 hours ago
Thousands leave Bengaluru fearing fresh lockdown
English22 hours ago
Strategic affairs experts hail Modi’s visit to Ladakh; say his message to China ‘clear’