Where the IRDAI’s Regulation of Insurance Business in Special Economic Zone Rules, 2015, did not mention intermediaries, the authority’s 2019 guidelines for intermediaries specified operations in International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) and not all SEZs.
“This enables foreign intermediaries to set up offices in any SEZs in the country as well as Indian companies to do so, to solicit business for customers outside India across the globe, subject to the local laws there,” said Joydeep Roy, global leader, insurance digital assets, PwC, adding, “This opens up possibilities to manage costs better, leverage skilled manpower better and scale up apart from solving time zone issues.”
The developments came amid the government’s efforts to attract global business at a time when many companies are looking to rebalance their dependence on China and to flee the unrest in Hong, Kong, one of Asia’s top financial hubs.
The amended rules enable IRDAI to come out with operational guidelines to permit foreign and Indian intermediaries to transact business from SEZs, the notification said, effective from Thursday.
“We will have to see whether IRDAI will come up with additional guidelines on regulating intermediaries operating from other SEZs or whether the existing guidelines for IFSCs will apply here as well,” said Aravind Venugopal, partner at Khaitan and Co.
The other issue involves the tax structure such companies would face operating in SEZs. “In case of Indian intermediaries opening offices in SEZs, issues like roll up or contain profits within SEZ are yet to be clarified. According to prevailing tax laws if the set up is not in an IFSC-SEZ then no income tax benefits accrue, which are considerable otherwise,” Roy said.
Currently, an intermediary in an IFSC enjoys a 10-year income tax holiday, a benefit not available in other SEZs.
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive