After hearing a matrimonial appeal filed by the husband, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Ajai Lamba and Justice Soumitra Saikia set aside an order of the family court which rejected his prayer for divorce on the grounds that no cruelty was found on the part of the wife against him.
The man had appealed in the high court against the family court’s order.
“Her refusal to wear ‘sakha and sindoor’ will project her to be unmarried and/or signify her refusal to accept the marriage with the appellant (husband). Such categorical stand of the respondent (wife) points to the clear intention of the respondent that she is unwilling to continue her conjugal life with the appellant,” the high court said in the judgment passed on June 19.
The man and the woman had married on February 17, 2012, but they started fighting soon as she started demanding not to live along with his family members. As a consequence, the two have been living separately since June 30, 2013.
She had lodged a police complaint against her husband and his family members accusing them of torturing her, but the allegation of subjecting her to cruelty was not sustained, the bench said.
“Such acts of lodging criminal cases on unsubstantiated allegations against the husband and/or the husband’s family members amounts to cruelty as held by the Supreme Court,” they said in the order.
The family court completely ignored the fact that the woman compelled and prevented her husband from performing his statutory duties towards his aged mother under the provisions of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, the judges said.
“Such evidence is sufficient to be construed as an act of cruelty,” the order added.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Tamil Nadu Covid-19 tally crosses 1 lakh mark
- Not in favour of withdrawing case against Italian marines from SC: Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan
- Earthquake of magnitude 4.7 hits Alwar in Rajasthan; tremors felt in north India, Delhi-NCR
- Govt’s locust operation covers 1.33 lakh hectares in North, West India
- Fantasy sports firms expect strong comeback as live sports resumes in empty stadiums
- Germany is first major economy to phase out coal and nuclear
- Sonia Gandhi writes to PM seeking extension of OBC reservation in all-India quota of medical seats
- Sonia writes to PM on denial of reservation to OBCs in state medical colleges
- Earthquake measuring 4.7 on Richter scale hits Delhi-NCR
- UP Congress leaders want Priyanka Gandhi to shift base to Lucknow
- Train hits bus carrying Sikh pilgrims in Pakistan: 20 dead
- PM Modi meets soldiers injured in Galwan Valley clash, says they make 130 cr Indians proud
- Government launches ‘Swachh Survekshan 2021’; states also to be ranked
- At $500 billion, India has world’s fifth-largest foreign exchange reserves
- You gave a befitting reply: PM Modi tells soldiers injured in Galwan clash
English14 hours ago
Horoscope Today: Astrological prediction for July 3, what’s in store for Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo and other zodiac signs
English21 hours ago
Uncertainty sees companies suspending guidance
English12 hours ago
Eight UP police personnel killed in encounter with criminals in Kanpur
English6 hours ago
‘Not the era for expansionism’: PM Modi’s harsh message to China from Ladakh
English24 hours ago
Eastern Ladakh standoff: India expects China to ensure expeditious restoration of peace
English22 hours ago
Congress, NCP upset with Uddhav Thackeray for reimposing lockdown
English23 hours ago
Amit Shah meets CMs of UP, Haryana, Delhi; discusses COVID-19 situation
English23 hours ago
We’re optimistic about a V-shaped recovery in India: Expenditure Secretary TV Somanathan