The proceedings were hanging fire for nearly a year due to “lack of clarity” over a SC order passed last July.
A court of an additional district and sessions judge in Delhi has now posted the matter for final arguments by ED and the accused to decide whether to declare Sterling Biotech MD Nitin Jayantilal Sandesara, his brother Chetan Sandesara, wife Dipti Sandesara, and brother-in-law Hitesh Narendra Bhai Patel as fugitive economic offenders (FEOs).
It will be taken up immediately after the courts resume normal functioning.
As per the statute, a fugitive economic offender is an individual against whom an arrest warrant has been issued in respect of a scheduled offence and who has fled India so as to avoid criminal prosecution, or being abroad, refuses to return to India to face criminal prosecution.
Once a person is declared an FEO, government agencies can confiscate their properties in India and abroad to recover the losses.
ED has already attached Indian and overseas assets worth Rs 9,778 crore of the Vadodara-based pharmaceutical company and its promoters in connection with the alleged bank fraud case. Once it gets FEO tag on Sandesaras, the agency can confiscate these properties.
ED has questioned senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel thrice in the past one week over his alleged involvement in the bank scam, which is considered bigger than the `11,400-crore Punjab National Bank fraud allegedly committed by Nirav Modi.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai
English22 hours ago
Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
English23 hours ago
Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
Coronavirus3 hours ago
Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
English24 hours ago
Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
English23 hours ago
Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94