The July uptick reflected post-lockdown normalisation and pent-up demand driven largely by a recovery in rural demand, however, the continuous rise in daily cases posed a growing risk of tapering sequential improvements, it said in a report on Monday.
“Early economic data for July such as auto sales and electricity consumption have continued to post a stronger recovery than what a flattening mobility curve would suggest, though the July manufacturing PMI dipped in India (to 46.0 vs 47.2 in June), even though it picked up in the majority of other Asian economies,” Nomura said.
“With daily cases continuing to pick up both nationally and in traditionally safer states (in the south and the east), the freeze in the NIBRI (Nomura India Business Resumption Index) indicates a growing risk that the sequential improvement in activity could taper,” it added.
These concerns assume importance as not only did the country see the highest daily cases globally on Monday at 52,972 fresh cases, but the infection was increasingly spreading in rural areas which is said to be leading the recovery.
The NIBRI, which is a weekly tracker of the pace at which economic activity normalises, remained broadly unchanged at 70.4 for the week ending August 2. The previous week ending July 26 also showed a similar result of 70.3 over the week ending July 19 at 70.
While this freeze in NIBRI growth formed the base of Nomura’s concerns, it was 2.7 percentage points (pp) higher than June levels, the report said. However, this was still 30pp below normal activity levels, it added.
The report also noted that power consumption showed a weekly contraction of 2% where it had grown 3.5% during the previous week.
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive