The indigenous design and development proposals approved — worth over Rs 20,400 crore — includes the cutting-edge Astra beyond visual range air-to-air missiles (BVRAM) that has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). The missile, which has been successfully tested, will be ordered by both the Air Force and Navy and would replace legacy Russian missiles in the long term.
Sources said that in the first tranche, 248 of the missiles will be ordered to be equipped on the Su 30 MKI and MiG-29K fleets. The Air Force has already made it clear that the Astra will be its mainstay longrange air-to-air missile in future and would be standardised on as many platforms as possible.
The ministry has also given the go ahead for addition of a new Long Range Land Attack Missile Systems, capable of hitting targets at over 1,000 km, for the Navy and Air Force. This will give greater standoff range to the forces and could be equipped onto the future fleet of P-75I submarines that are being procured.
“The equipment are going to be manufactured in India involving Indian defence industry with participation of several MSMEs as prime tier vendors. The indigenous content in some of these projects is up to 80% of the project cost,” the defence ministry said, adding that acquisitions worth Rs 31,130 crore would be carried out from the Indian industry.
This includes a Rs 10,730-crore order to be placed on Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to manufacture 12 more Su-30 MKI fighter jets at Nasik. This adds to the 272 fighter jets of the type that have been ordered in several tranches by the Air Force till now. The ministry has also given approval for the procurement of 21 news MiG-29 UPGs from Russia, as well as an upgradation of 59 existing fighter jets of the type for Rs 7,418 crore. These fighter jets are needed to increase the squadron strength of the Air Force, and are expected to be delivered in a short time frame as they have already been partially built by Russia.
if(geolocation && geolocation != 5 && (typeof skip == 'undefined' || typeof skip.fbevents == 'undefined')) !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function()n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments); if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=;t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e); s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '338698809636220'); fbq('track', 'PageView');
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai