Asks govt to rejig strategy to tackle COVID to reduce high death rate
Says death toll in Punjab among highest in country with 10 per cent increase in cases on a daily basis
Majithia- Former minister Bikram Singh Majithia today launched a massive sanitisation drive in this assembly constituency following persistent demand from the people even as he asked the Punjab government to rejig its COVID-19 combat plan, saying the death percentage in the State was among the highest in the country.
Launching the sanitisation drive under which tanks filled with disinfectant started sanitising villages and ‘kasbahs’ across the constituency, Bikram Majithia said he had initiated the exercise after waiting for one month and following complaints from the people that the State government was not doing anything in this regard.
Majithia said it was clear that the government would have to change its strategy to combat COVID-19 with the current method failing miserably. He said Punjab was recording a death rate of seven per cent compared to an average of three per cent in most States. He said even in neighbouring Haryana, where the number of COVID cases were the same, the death toll was only three compared to 16 people succumbing to the disease in Punjab. He said as per the current trend Punjab was recording a ten per cent increase in COVID cases which was alarming and indicated that it was not able to curtail the spread of the disease in the State.
The SAD leader said the main reason for this high death toll could be the fact that Punjab had still not been able to streamline COVID treatment facilities in its hospitals. “This is coupled with the fact that it has failed to instil confidence in the health workers by supplying them PPE kits or doubling their salaries like Haryana has done. Our health workers want to strengthen the State’s hands but are demoralised because they have not been provided with safety gear”.
Asking the Punjab government to remove all shortcomings in treatment of COVID cases which has come to light following the tragic death of Bhai Nirmal Singh and many other persons, Majithia also asked it to take help from all sections of society for this task. “District level consultative committees could be made with members from all walks of life and political parties to ensure a concerted drive against COVID-19”, he added.
- PM Modi pitches for Atmanirbhar App ecosystem, says IT is tackling disruption brought about by COVID-19
- CM Palaniswami eases curbs in Chennai from July 6, extends restrictions in Madurai
- HC raps Maharashtra for inaction against vendors who sold spurious soyabean seeds to farmers
- Covid-19: 78% households in NCR start going to their workplaces, says survey
- Fed up of waiting, Goans stranded abroad arrange own flights home
- West Bengal’s unemployment rate at 6.5% in June ‘far better’ than that of India: Mamata
- Shravan Mela from July 6 to Aug 3: To stop devotees, admin seals Deoghar district
- WHO team to visit China next week to investigate origins of coronavirus
- 13 pvt labs in Telangana under govt scanner for reporting abnormal Covid-19+ cases
- Delhi BJP reorganisation process begins; 35 teams formed to shortlist names
- ‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
- Nagaland government rejects governor’s proposal on transfer and posting of officials
- Venkaiah Naidu pays tribute to BJP patriarch LK Advani on Guru Purnima
- Strategic affairs experts hail Modi’s visit to Ladakh; say his message to China ‘clear’
- ICMR defends fast tracking Covaxin amid allegations of chasing glory with Independence Day launch
English14 hours ago
Wife found dead after husband dies in Covid-19 isolation ward in Odisha’s Jagatsinghpur
English14 hours ago
Horoscope Today: Astrological prediction for July 4, what’s in store for Aries, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo and other zodiac signs
English2 hours ago
‘Malicious, unsubstantiated’: Indian Army on reports of PM Modi’s ‘fake hospital visit’
English23 hours ago
Pakistani foreign minister tests positive for Covid-19
English12 hours ago
Faces of terror: Why India banned 9 Khalistan-linked terrorists in 5 countries
English21 hours ago
Hong Kongers scrub social media history in face of security law
English4 hours ago
‘Roti-Beti’ tie with India under threat by Nepal’s citizenship amendment bill
English24 hours ago
June exports data to reflect faster recovery: Piyush Goyal