A team of student researchers from Punjab have developed an algae-based air purifier. The purifier will not only neutralize 98 percent of the harmful gasses and particulate matter in the air but will also increase the amount of oxygen making indoors more breathable.
The researchers at Lovely Professional University and Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER), Mohali, have filed for the patent and are now in discussion with industry experts for its commercialization. Naveen Luthra, head of the division of start-up at Lovely Professional University said, “The powerful air purifier applies a completely new technology than what is used by the existing air purifiers in the market. The device, which uses an in-built container filled with marine algae, decontaminates the indoor air and effectively removes toxic industrial gases like carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides and sulphur oxides with an impeccable success rate of over 98 pc and further infuses oxygen in the filtered air.”
He further added that “This innovative air purifier produces biomass as the by-product of the photosynthesis process which can further be sold to industries like bio development products, FMCG and pharmaceuticals for producing energy.”
The team was led by A Sunila Patil, assistant professor at IISER, Mohali. It included B-Tech students Anant Kumar Rajput and Deepak Deb. The team has also developed a working prototype of the product and successfully conducted trials.
- From ED to TEDx- a walk-through of stories talking about Being One this Dec 2020!
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive