Connect with us

India News

8 tourists from Kerala lose their lives in a hotel room in Nepal

Published

on

Eight Indian tourists were found unconscious in a hotel room in Daman, Nepal. They were then airlifted to a Kathmandu hospital on Tuesday and declared dead on arrival. They are believed to have died because of asphyxiation due to a gas heater.

The deceased were a part of a 15 people group from Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala who had traveled together to Nepal on a holiday. The group was traveling from Pokhara to take a flight back to India and had made a pitstop at a hotel in Daman in Nepal’s Makwanpur district. It was here that they turned on the gas heater for the night, to keep themselves warm.

The eight people have been identified as Praveen Krishnan Nair,39 and his wife Saranya,34 along with their three kids, Sreebhadra,9, Aarcha,8 and Abhi Nair,7. Praveen’s friend Renjith Kumar TB, 39 from Kozhikode, his wife Indu Renjith,34 and their son Vaishnav Renjith,2 were also sleeping in the same room.

The incident occurred at the Everest Panorama Resort in Daman. According to the hotel manager, the room in which they were found unconscious was locked from inside. The local police were alerted after the rest of the group staying in another room went to check on them. They were then immediately airlifted to Kathmandu following this. A picture of the room shows an outdoor heater was used in the room. There have been many cases in the past where people have died because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The doctors are currently waiting for details from the police regarding the time of death and other documents from the Indian Embassy in order to go ahead with the autopsy. Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has sought the intervention of External Affairs Minister S Jaishanakar to render all assistance to the families of the eight Keralite tourists who died at a resort in Nepal.

Trending