A 60-year-old woman was killed and another injured as Pakistan rained mortars on Indian posts and forward villages along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday.
Poonch district police chief SSP Ramesh Kumar Angral said, “there was ceasefire violation by Pakistan and at around 0235 hrs (2.35 AM) in which an old woman was killed and another injured in Lanjote area of Mendhar. They were hit by Pakistani mortar fire”.
Pakistan violated ceasefire along the LoC in Balakote and Mendhar sectors of the district, he said. The stretch is manned by 12 Madras Battalion.
The deceased was identified as Reshma Bi and the injured as Hakam Bi, 58, both belonging to Lanjote in Mendhar.
No army personnel were injured in the exchange of fire.
Defence spokesman Lt Col Devender Anand said, “around 0200 hours, (2 AM) Pakistan initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms and then resorted to intense shelling along the LoC in Balakote and Mendhar sectors. Indian Army retaliated befittingly. The firing stopped at about 0245 hours. (2.45 AM).
Last month India lost five soldiers along the LoC in Poonch and Rajouri sectors in Pakistani shelling.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai