A 45-year-old woman was murdered by a cab driver in Kolkata on Friday. The driver and the woman knew each other and the accused owed the woman Rs 30,000.
The man murdered the woman by slitting her throat and dumped the body in a canal in east Kolkata. The culprit has been arrested by the authorities and will be produced before the court on Saturday.
“The man, Shiv Shankar Das, 35, owed Laxmi Das, Rs 30,000. He wanted to borrow more money. When the woman declined and demanded the previous sum back, Das murdered her,” said a senior officer of the Kolkata Police’s detective department.
The woman used to work as a maid in the Charu Market area in south Kolkata.
Also read: India records over 20,000 new Covid-19 cases in a row, tally tops 6.48 lakh
On Friday, around 12:30 pm, Shiv Shankar asked Laxmi to meet him. He picked her up in the cab and later murdered her. When Laxmi didn’t return home, her family members called Shiv Shankar. He, however, refused to divulge any details and instead switched off his mobile.
“The accused was picked up for questioning. He confessed during the interrogation and led us to the spot where he had dumped the body late in the night,” said the officer.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai