In the list of Indian Billionaires, another man has made his entrance. Byju Raveendran, a 37-
year-old former school teacher turned entrepreneur marked his entry when his education app
valuation touched $6Billion in seven years.
The app made by Byju Raveendran blended Indian education with Mouse House entertainment.
In the app, students from grades one to three learn maths and English with cartoons.
Characters like The Lion King’s Simba, Frozen’s Anna and other cartoons teach students via
interactive quizzes, videos, animated games and stories.
He set up Think & Learn in 2011, offering online lessons before launching his main app in 2015.
The business has signed up more than 35 million of whom about 2.4 million pay an annual fee
of 10,000 to 12,000 rupees, helping it became profitable in the year ending March 2019.
In Byju’s latest funding round, the entrepreneur bought shares to maintain his equity level. Along
with his wife and brother, the Raveendran clan now holds a total stake of about 35%, said the
people familiar, asking not to be quoted as the matter is private.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai