A 35-year-old migrant was hacked to death near Sandhu showroom at Haibowal in the early morning on Wednesday.
Residents concerned over their safety
The incident has raised concerns over the security of residents in the city. Haibowal residents alleged that despite lockdown, criminal elements continued to target innocents. They demanded immediate arrest of suspects so that such incidents were not repeated in the future.
The police suspected that robbers could have murdered him after looting cash and valuables.
The deceased has been identified as Ramu, a resident of New Tagore Nagar here. He was a native of Uttar Pradesh.
Investigation officer, ASI Malkit Singh, said the deceased was a vegetable vendor. Today morning at around 4.30 am, he was heading to buy vegetables on bicycle, the ASI added.
He could have been cornered by some robbers, who after looting cash and valuables, hacked him to death with a sharp weapon, the Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) said.
At around 5 am when patrolling party of the Haibowal police station saw a man lying in a pool of blood on the road in Haibowal, they immediately took him to a nearby hospital where doctors declared him brought dead.
The victim had sharp injury marks on his stomach. He seemed to have died on the spot.
The suspects did not loot mobile phone of the deceased, which was found in latter’s pocket, the ASI added.
CCTV cameras of the area were being scanned to get any clue about suspects, the ASI said.
The incident has raised concerns over the security of residents in the city. Haibowal residents alleged that despite lockdown, criminal elements continued to target innocents in their area.
They demanded immediate arrest of suspects so that such incidents were not repeated in the future.
- Residents blame Ludhiana MC for ignoring fogging
- Mumbai: Two missing after a fishing boat carrying 13 fishermen capsizes
- Theatre doyen Ebrahim Alkazi who trained Naseeruddin Shah, Om Puri dies at 94
- Won’t spare any politician or public servant found complicit in hooch tragedy: Punjab CM
- Nitish Kumar recommends CBI probe in Sushant case, sets up a new row
- Covid-19: Indigenous Australian group blocks Uluru access route over pandemic fears
- Covid-19 will disappear with blessings of Lord Ram, says Shiv Sena ahead of ‘bhoomi pujan’ ceremony
- Kolkata airport operations will be suspended for 7 days in August due to Bengal lockdown
- Coronavirus lockdown study reports surge in health anxieties
- HC adjourns virtual hearings after heavy rainfall in Mumbai, hearings postponed to Wednesday
- Congress again reaches out to rebel Rajasthan MLAs, lists its only condition
- Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Alia Bhatt, Tara Sutaria dress to impress for Rakhi 2020
- Early indicators of economic activity in July show improvement over June: Nomura
- Tripura CM in home quarantine after two family members test Covid positive
- Aam Aadmi Party to restructure Delhi unit with an eye on municipal polls: Gopal Rai